Wednesday 10 June 2015


#DaArtInU: Celebrating Bob-Nosa Uwagboe, an artist with a strange touch of art yet speaks volume...



Bob-Nosa-Nosa Uwagboe was born in 1974 in the ancient city of Benin kingdom, rich in cultural and artistic heritage. Edo state.

                      " l grew up seeing myself doing  Art even when my late dad was not in support of it but I kept on with the journey."


Bob-Nosa as he is fondly called, retired immediately to full-time studio practice after his one year mandatory service to the nation as a member of the national youth service corp (NYSC) at Abuja.

He relocated to Lagos to set up The Protest Art Studio to explore his creative energy into an experimental path that has
resulted into thought provoking themes and often times spark of anger, pain, passion and vision that are not often defined by the subject matters and defy the border usually set by artistic canons. 

 Bob-Nosa employs diverse materials seemingly unconnected at first to evoke emotions with his art, he often succeed in challenging the audience to deeper engagement with his work from which there are varied interpretation and reflection mostly concerned with issues of falsehood, deception, bad leadership and reaching to the unreached.


                       "The poor leadership in Africa and high level of inhumanity practices among men that has become the norm is my primary interest in art,  Which I interpret  either offensively or defensively. My art is a puzzle, magical and consuming to my viewers. My creative process is a moment of calmness, anger, pain, passion, therapeutic and evoking emotion in which I employ diverse materials such as  my used fabric, my hair, sand, papers, sack, rope, acrylic, spray paint, crayon, charcoal, oil paint on canvas or board and this process is a moment of total surrender to my will power and opening up my soul as a channel where good ideas pass through and the result is of human significance and with global validity.
                             I don’t pre-destine my art process, these might circumscribe my creative effort and jeopardize creativity."

Bob-Nosa Uwagboe shocked the art public in 2009 in his show “Recent works by bob-nosa” held at the pan African university in Lagos with originality and strength of his voice.

#DaArtInU : With your kind of art,  bet there has been challenges  overtime till now...


               " Yes, the challenges have been ‘Acceptance” which I still suffer till date and I hope to overcome with the spirit of persistence and patience."


#DaArtInU: Who or What has a great influence on you?

                                   " My greatest influence has been the poor leadership in Africa, which gave birth to me establishing the Protest Art Studio. Because I strongly believe that Art can be used to change a society to start thinking in the right direction most especially like in a society where corruption stand tall."


#DaArtInU: If you could be or do anything in the past,What will that be?

                                    " It will still be the Art "



#DaArtInU: What has been the saddest moment of your life where your talent is connected?

                               
     " The saddest moment of my career is still very fresh and unforgettable in my mind. This moment is between October 2014 and January 2015,In this period, the spirit of death visited my family back to back to take away my mother and father. It was a tragedy, great lost, painful moment which affected my creativity greatly. In this moment of grief and mourning, I had to put my practice on hold for 4months which had never happened  in my art practice. After which I had to go through a mental rehabilitation so as to come out safe. Out of this moment of mental rehabilitation, gave birth to a pool of amazing body of work which am using to pay tribute to the soul of the faithful departed who has transcend to a higher level.


#DaArtInU: What has been the happiest moment of your life where your talent is connected?
                       
       " The happiest moment was when I had an International Exhibition (The last picture show)in Cameroon 2010 which was a sold out. It was a moment of victory over rejection for me. My persistence actually paid off and I became more courageous in my pursuit as a protest artist."

#DaArtInU: How would you like to be remembered?

                                 
      " I would like to be remembered as an artist and a humanitarian."


Bob-nosa works have been on display at the following exhibitions...



SELECTED EXHIBITION
-   Lagos State Council for Art and Culture Art Exhibition for Nigeria Artist;
2001, Lagos.
- Edo state council for Art and Culture, Edo State Sports Festival Art Exhibition; 2002 (Oba Ekenzua Cultural Centre, Benin City).
- Treasure of our time, Pendulum Art Gallery, Lagos; 2001.
- Beyond Figuration by Omenka Gallery, Lagos; 2009
- French Women Association Lagos Art Exhibition at African Artist Foundation (AAF); 2009.
- The Last Picture Show V.I. / Maison Du parti Douala; 2009

Collocation 5 Art Exhibition, Though Pyramid Art Centre; 2009, Abuja.

1.  Art Basel Miami Art Fair ,Maimi (U.S.A) 2012
2 . The Last Picture Show- Le Meridien Cameroon 2011
3 .The Last Picture Show- La Galeric Vendome Paris
4. Cora Art Festival  2011 “Do not resuscitate”   Freedom Park.  Lagos
5 .The Children of the World -   German Cultural Centre Lagos 2012
6. Thought Pyramid Art Gallery Abuja  - Generational  Statement 2011
7. Thought Pyramid Art Gallery Abuja. Collocation 5.   2009
8. The Last Picture Show 2009 Muson du Parti. Douala Cameroon.
9. Nigeria Now Present New Works by Ayoola Gbolahan and Bob-Nosa Uwagboe. Abuja       2012
10. World Bank Art Exhibition (group) Abuja. 2013

SOLO EXHIBITIONS:
1.      Recent works by Bob-Nosa Uwagboe (2009).  Pan-African University.Lagos
2.      Homme Libre-  African Artist Foundation Lagos (2001)



Bob-nosa arts can be found in many respectable public and private collections both in Nigeria and Aboard and have shown in different important exhibition worldwide. 



To connect with Bob-Nosa
www.bobnosaart.com
bobnub@yahoo.com
+2348038251888




No comments:

Post a Comment