Thursday 18 June 2015

#DaArtInU: Celebrating  Michael Okoroagha,  a young Creative Director who thinks he doesn't worth celebrating














#DaArtInU came across this young genius and proposed he is worth Celebrating. His words were "I am young and not a celebrity so I don't deserve the limelight you are honouring me with". We made him realise #DaArtInU celebrates talents and not celebrity.

Thus he opened us to his world....

My names are Michael Okoroagha. I was born in lagos and my education was in lagos as well. 

I am an art director, a blogger and  i do illustrations likes of storyboards for movies,animations, game designs and animation backgrounds.  I also draw comics and i am also a good story teller.

I am from a typical Ibo family of Ebonyi state with a family of Seven,  Six boys and one girl.  I am the last.

I started drawing from child hood.  it all started with reading comics. I was six year old when i saw my first comic book which is Batman and it sparked something in me. I began to draw that i became so fascinated with comics.  In primary school i met some friends who loved art as well so we all came together shared ideas and develop concept though our drawings then were amateurish works  but in time we improved. As we got better i developed more interest in other aspect of art like movies and   animations. I never stopped drawing even in class rooms now i can see where it all led me to, I am working professionally now as a full time artist.


Admitting to challenges, Michael says "of course whatever country you are in as an artist there must be challenges". Growing up taking this art very seriously brought about the challenges i faced which came from my parent and siblings specially from my older brothers, I was strictly made to  read my books all the time instead off drawing but my dad doesn't usually complain about my skills and he encourages me though my dad can also draw but he never took it as a career.
As a professional i also faced the challenges of cost of production, lack of electricity and the government not encouraging the world of art enough by falling blind towards art makes it seems they don't even know it exists. 

He humbly told #DaArtInU " ahhh, I have not really done that much to remember,  most of the jobs I ve done for some studios are still on hold due to some failed investors and most are still on productions",  however I have few credits like Ajebotoons cartoon by Emy which i did most of the background which is also shown on youtube, also storyboards for Standout Naija TV advert for 3dmax media,  Cover arts for Elixir studio, Strike guard comic book,  promotional covers for Arander Entetainment comic characters and a lot of illustrations i ve done in the past that i cant even start to remember the company names #Imaginethat....


#DaArtInU: Any awards so far for this great skill of yours?

                "Naaa no award yet,  the comic and animation industry in Nigeria are still grounded but just hope it get more recognised someday".

" Currently I work with Sporedust Nigeria where i got most of my trainings,  I also run my independent production,  Dreamstorm Media which i will be lunching some of its e books titles and graphic novels later this year..but i still freelance attimes...


#DaArtInU: What or Who influenced your talent?

                  "hmmm, i was influenced by Jim Lee comic arts on batman and superman comic and his art on most of the image comic titles, also on Marvels StanLee the great, his success story is inspiring. Walt Disney death was a great blow of influence on me" .


Michael told #DaArtInU that he would have succumbed to playing  football or probably continue his acting carrier,  which of course he is still working on if he wasn't a creative director. 

#DaArtInU : Asking him of one thing he would rather have of life if given an option...

                 "hmmmm thats a good question..i will probably bring the dead back to life. You know what i meant.  Llife is precious..looolzz".


Celebrities he would love to have dinner with are Stanley, comic book creator;  Keanu Reeves,hollywood actor; Genneviev Nanji, nollywood actress; James Cameroon,producer and director; Szack Snyder..director and  producer



#DaArtInU: Happiest day in his life so far....

                  "hmmm years back when Ayodele Elegba of Elixir studio decided to hire me for his strike guard comic book cover and also the moment i got an offer to work with Sporedust Media which is the most recognised animation studio in Nigeria..i was very excited".




#DaArtInU: and saddest day...

                   "Aww men,hard to tell. Hmmm when i was in the middle of a PROJECT and the news came to me,that my father has passed away...I hardly have time for family and friends, that saddened me".

#DaArtInU: What would you like to be remembered for?

                    "A great Mentor of hope and inspiration for up coming artist".

#DaArtInU: So who is the woman behind Michael Okoroagha?

                     "Come on,am still very young and not married yet".

#DaArtInU *winks*" Teasing him could be such fun....

Connect with Michael Okoroagha on www.facebook.com/michaelokoroagha

No comments:

Post a Comment