Sunday 4 September 2016

A Night with HBO #TheNightOf

#FridayNightOf


So this wonderful rainy night, I decided to ease off  with a film. I searched through the new compilations of films from my brother ‘a gift to always keep you sane’, he usually says, I saw this title ‘The Night’, thinking it was a medical series due to my phobia for blood I decided to check and delete asap but what I wasn't anticipating happened, I was smitten  by the montage ambience.

As a writer, I put importance to film montages and from watching a film montage for few mins, I can tell you the whole story or synopsis behind the story. The ambience I felt from the beginning of the Montage intro took me to that moment I was watching Dare Devil story and right there I knew this was going to be a dark and twisted story.

What I didn’t deduce was if it was medical oriented story or not then I saw the full title #TheNightOf and alas it clicked ‘it was another Grisham touch’. I made my way quickly to the kitchen to make a cup of tea because that was the only task that could be of bother if I had to play the film further and with a film as such, I aint missing any little detail of importance and so my journey to the world of Nasir started.


#NoSpoilerAlert from me but this is a series to watch. It started slow but with key details one mustn’t overlook, this might be technical but for us filmmakers, attention to details matters. Right from the emphases on shots from other angles which could be termed a second POV ‘a third eye’ ,I knew I was locked down because something will definitely take me back to why those shots were important and taken in the story.

Everyone made it emotional and conveyed vital messages from their expressions, actions and  to their words. The conversations were balanced. Two characters made my day in the court, Duane and the undertaker as labelled. The fact that I could laugh with the tensed emotion I was feeling while they kept such straight face with their speeches was priceless and human.

In this story we see a young boy who takes his 360 degree walks of life to become a man(Nasir) ,a man who believes in what he does despite all odds (John Stone), a man of honour (Detective Sergent Box), mixed feelings (the lawyer Chandra), the faith of a mother(Nasir’s mother), the strength of a father(Nasir’s father),the life of a cat(Cat),a friend a foe?(Freddy) ,the eye of an Eagle (Dr Katz), a mind set (Weiss) and the most important character of the film, the catalyst of change(Andrea).

It might just be a short meeting of short moments but Nasir actually did loved Andrea for that brief period of time and that will always stick with him, she was his catalyst of change.




Thank you Sofia Black D’Elia , Riz Ahmed, Casts and Crew for such wonderful moments shared with you watching this series. 


#HBO, I look forward to joining the team. ‘Where should I email my CV?’, *winks* trying my luck ‘Never Say Never’.

No comments:

Post a Comment